Jewish History in Florence
The Florentine Jewish community is first mentioned as being situated near Ponte Vecchio in the year 1300. Back then Florence had her own Synagogue. In the days of Lorenzo il Magnifico Florentine Jews experienced a period of great liberty and expansion, which ended in the 1570s when they were forced to live in the Ghetto built for them near Piazza della Repubblica. After the demolition of the Ghetto in the 19th century, a new Synagogue in moresco style was erected, which now also houses an interesting museum.
Minimum length 3 hours.